Exchange of experiences / Erfahrungsaustausch / Get Help
You are not logged in.
|Verkauf von iCal4OL an Neukunden ist eingestellt!
Keine Demo mehr verfügbar..
Diese Seite ist ausschliesslich für Kunden, welche auch noch zusätzliche Lizenzen kaufen können.
|The selling of iCal4OL has ended!
No trial available anymore..|
This site is exclusively for customers, which may still want to buy additional licenses.
iCal4OL Version 2.16.6 is now available. See Announcements / Ankündigungen
Yes - THE OTHER WAY AROUND!
Until now iCal4OL could synchronize items by the CalDAV client protocol with servers like DAViCal, Darwin Calendar Server, eGroupware, Cosmo and Google Calendar.
Now a real CALDAV SERVER is integrated to SHARE your Outlook Calendar (and Tasks) with clients like Sunbird, Lightning or ICAL!
Note: Outlook 2010 64-bit is not supported!
Sharing your Outlook Calendar (+Tasks) with other users in the network by CalDAV
Sunbird, Lightning, ICAL (OS X Leopard) and iCal4OL (as CalDAV-Client on another machine) can access your Outlook Calendar/Tasks by this protocol.
Is Outlook fast enough for this, you may ask?
No/Yes - I implemented a cache mechanism (Access 2000 MDB), which will answer all requests very fast (this is the server db).
You can keep working in Outlook at the same time - the cache will be updated automatically with your changes, too!
Building the cache (at CalDAV server start) takes a short time, depending on the total count of items.
But you can keep working in Outlook during this process, too.
The cache can be re-used at next CalDAV server start (see option "reuse" - will only re-cache changes).
Most of the "enhanced options" in iCal4OL are supported - this is very practical to see e.g. modified items (by clients) in a different color!
- fast (caching)
- Basic Realm Authentication - use only lowercase letters for username!
- You can keep working in Outlook
- Beta: Several clients can connect simultaneously (Be aware of timeouts, when Outlook is busy...).
- Supported clients are Sunbird, Lightning, ICAL and iCal4OL (other clients may work, too - test them yourself).
- KOrganizer is only supported by "Calendar in Remote File" (enter the URL there = WebDAV GET/PUT)
- A lot of enhanced options e.g. time period, export/import filter, adding color and/or category.
- Simple right management with options: [nochange] [noadd] [nodelete]
- Subscribing as remote calendar (WebDAV access) e.g. http://192.168.0.2/username/calendar is supported, too.
- WebDAV upload with synchronization to e.g. http://192.168.0.2/username/calendar (without trailing /) is supported, too.
- Version 2.11.6 - downloaded after 16. August 2011 - does support Exchange Public Folders and iPhone, iPad and iPod (iOS 4.3.5)
(There was an open issue, not showing Outlook events in iOS, but I didn't had a iPxx to test, until now .... )
- DO NOT activate "Show Reminders" in SUNBIRD
- Only one calendar folder (plus one task folder) can be shared (but you can run multiple copies of iCal4OL.exe on different ports).
- The HTTP Server is very basic and written directly on top of the winsock interface. Please be aware of security risks, if you open a port to the internet.
Choose a non standard port for the server or better: use a VPN connection.
- Accessing a Google Mail account by IMAP under VISTA can freeze up your Outlook and therefore the CalDAV Server, too. This is a bug in VISTA SP1.
- Sunbird gets very slow accessing more than 500 events by caldav protocol. Use "subscribing as remote calendar", if you want to share more items - or restrict the time period (see below)!
- CalDAV-Clients can not add an identical event twice (same subject, date and starttime). This is a feature (auto-recognition of duplicate events).
Note: There may be an issue under Win7 64-bit. If it's not working - counter is counting and counting:
- add skipdeleted in field UserID (Kennung), and NEVER USE reuse
On tab "What" choose "2-Way-Sync with a Web Solution"... and then use the button [URL:] to configure it. This is the easiest way...
URL (top field)...: <enter anything> like "x" (you cannot leave it empty). It will be replaced with the effective server address after first run.
Login+Password: <enter anything> like "x" (you cannot leave it empty). Enter credentials under [Authorization]...
Authorization.....: You MUST enter username and password here! username MUST be lowercase!!
The CalDAV Server can't run without Basic Realm!
Clients need this username/pass to connect..
DON'T use special characters in username - it's a part of the URL address e.g http://192.168.0.2/username/calendar/
UserID (Kennung) (normally)..: caldav server tasks
UserID (Kennung) (minimal)...: caldav server
UserID (Kennung) (all options): caldav server:8080 tasks reuse nochange noadd nodelete debug nocache exchange skipdeleted
=> caldav server - After finishing your configuration, you must click on tab "Run" the button [Start Synchronization] to run it (or use a link, taskttray autostart or scheduled tasks)!
If you use multiple configuration files (*.ini), the server.ini must be the last in the chain (on tab "Run").
=> server:8080 - use port 8080 instead port 8008 (=>8008 is default)
=> tasks - share tasks, too (choose your task folder)
=> reuse - if you did not change any parameter since last server run, you can speed up the caching process.
Only modified items since last run will be re-cached, and deleted items will be removed from cache.
=> skipdeleted - only for Win7 64-bit, where a strange bug in DAO does not set .eof() property, and therefore indefinite loop may happen. Do not use "reuse" with this!
=> nochange - do not allow any changes of items
=> noadd - do not allow adding of new items
=> nodelete - do not allow removing of items
=> debug - write all http communications into the LOG.txt
=> nocache - use this ONLY FOR Uploading (Publishing!) by WebDAV to Outlook (no cache needed), e.g:
WebDAV PUT to http://192.168.0.2/username/calendar (without trailing /)
(WebDAV GET from http://192.168.0.2/username/calendar is slower without cache - but will work, too)
(WebDAV GET from http://192.168.0.2/username/freebusy will work, too... slow even with cache!)
=> exchange - For support of Exchange Public Folder (from 2.11.7 on..)
=> no_ctag - Deactivate support of <getctag>. Perhaps not working correctly for Exchange (from 2.11.7 on..)
=> skipdeleted - see red text above..
If you change ANY settings/filters, do not use flag "reuse" in this field (otherwise the cache is wrong)!
Outlook Calendar.....: choose your outlook calendar
(public exchange folders are not supported, but may work if Outlook is running
and the Exchange sync done => better choose "Online mode" = no caching in .ost).
Date & time last run: <not used> leave empty
Time period from-to: <select a rule> Clients CAN NOT move/create an event outside the time period! The past is gone ;-)
Repeating Events will be shown, if an occurrence is greater than "from"..
There is a limit of items a CalDAV Client can handle - e.g. Sunbird gets extremely slow with more than 500 events!
Simulation only.......: <do not use> (should work, but makes no sense - clients will get errors)
Enhanced Options....: most options are supported, but you really should think them thourougly through ;-)
tab "1.1 More" is for receiving events from clients (import)
tab "2.1 More" is for sending/sharing events from outlook (export)
- After starting the caldav server, a special window is shown with the URL to connect.
- use "[_] Minimize" to put the caldav server into the tasktray.
- Don't forget to configure your firewall (un-block the port)
- For access over the internet you must activate NAT forwarding in your router (please be aware of security risks - use VPN).
- Meanwhile in Outlook added or changed events will be filtered/cached automatically (=export).
- if you run multiple configuration files together, the Caldav server configuration must be the last in the *.ini run list!
- Start the CalDAV Server without "reuse" to clean the cache.
- Multiple clients may change/delete/add an event, which will be updated in the choosen "refresh" interval in your client (in Outlook immediatly).
So for a while, it's possible, that you don't see the actual content - and can't modify those events, without a warning/error (non-match etag).
- The cache is located under C:\Documents and Settings\<userprofile>\appdata\iCal4OL\CalDAV.mdb - may be helpfull for programmers..
- Sunbird 0.9 has a bug with Drag&Drop of Recurring Allday Events - use "modify event" instead.
- Sunbird has an experimental cache. If this is turned on, users may still see items from a run before (which used different settings).
- Do not activate the Sunbird option "Show Reminders". Sundbird does not reset reminders - causing an indefinite loop and eventually a crash of iCal4OL.
Last edited by Roland (2012-01-14 18:14:24)