Forum for iCal4OL, Print4OL and ICS4OL

Exchange of experiences / Erfahrungsaustausch / Get Help

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Verkauf von iCal4OL an Neukunden ist eingestellt! Keine Demo mehr verfügbar..
Diese Seite ist ausschliesslich für Kunden.
The selling of iCal4OL has ended! No trial available anymore..
This site is exclusively for customers.

iCal4OL Version 2.17.1 is now available. See Announcements / Ankündigungen

#1 2009-04-01 06:47:56

martin

Google Contact Sync Bugs & Improvements (with OL2000 error 438)

Hello,

When trying to upload contacts from Outlook to Gmail, I consistently get the following error:

'Run-time error 438 - Object doesn't support this property or method'

The program then closes.

Downloading contacts from Gmail to Outlook works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Martin

(I have the trial version of iCal4OL; Outlook 2000; Windows XP SP3)

Last edited by martin (2009-04-01 16:45:36)

#2 2009-04-01 09:02:48

Roland
Administrator

Re: Google Contact Sync Bugs & Improvements (with OL2000 error 438)

Sorry - I did not test the latest enhancement of the "Google Contact Sync" in OL2000.

I will look into it today... Trying to make it work with SP3 of Outlook 2000 ... and post my findings here.

(Hopefully it's just a "missing field" - and not a limitation of the new redemption.dll version, which I use to read contacts..)

Roland

Last edited by Roland (2009-04-01 10:50:10)

#3 2009-04-01 10:42:17

Roland
Administrator

Found it..

- .hasPicture is not possible in OL2000  (no contact picture sync possible)
- .IMAddress is not a valid field in OL2000

I updated the demo - so please download it again (you can just install it over previous installation)

... and don't forget to empty the field "Date and time last run", or use "[X] First Sync" again...

With kind regards
Roland

Last edited by Roland (2009-04-01 11:23:12)

#4 2009-04-01 16:43:47

martin

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your speedy response; I can't say how much I'm impressed and appreciate it.

Regarding the corrections, I am happy to confirm that the contact download & upload now work, but I notice several curiosities:

(1) On Download, Gmail email fields map as follows:
Gmail 'Home' = OL 'email'
Gmail 'Work' = OL 'email3'
Gmail 'Other' = OL unsynchronized (is placed as text in 'Notes')

(2) On Upload, OL email fields map as follows:
OL 'email' = Gmail 'Other'
OL 'email2' = Gmail 'Home'
OL 'email3' = Gmail 'Work'

Regarding the above two points, I would expect (1) and (2) to be consistent (download/upload) as follows:
OL 'email' = Gmail 'Home'
OL 'email2 = Gmail 'Work'
OL 'email3' = Gmail 'Other'

Am I doing something incorrectly in the sync settings?

(3) Categories in OL are not always synching with Groups in Gmail:
> On initial sync, only those OL categories for which there are already the same coresponding groups in Gmail will sync (new categories will not automatically be created in OL or Gmail).
> On subsequent syncs, new categories still do not get created in OL or Gmail, and any changes in category assignment for existing contacts in OL or in Gmail are not reflected and/or keep changing in Gmail which then overwrites OL on subsequent syncs.

Is this a limitation of the Google contacts interface?  The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Gmail requires some time to process uploaded category changes (sign-out/sign-in to account) before susequent syncs?

Thanks again for your attention and exchange. Until now, this is the best piece of sync script for OL and Gmail that I have been able to find and I would like to help improve it, if possible.

Best,
Martin

Last edited by martin (2009-04-01 17:04:33)

#5 2009-04-01 19:55:13

Roland
Administrator

Hello

Due to two different versions of the Gmail user interface (especially in Germany the "old version" is still used by many users), I had to map email addresses a "little bit strange"..
It actually depends, if a contact was added by the old or new Gmail interface - and which interface you are using now - it will result in different mapping!

There is now a "Master" Email Address in the new user interface... + then a Home, Work, Other...    but in the old interface "Other" is the master.... (to make it really complex, Gmail is using two XMLS namespaces, but mixing them up for new/old interface, and there is a flag for "primary email", too).

So - downloading will try to find out the "Master" - and maps to Email1Address 
=> (1) in your case it's "home", so it leaves Email2Address empty..

Uploading will mark Email1Address as "Master", but if this contact was e.g. created with old interface and you switched to new interface (or vis-versa), this unexpected result can happen.  On http://ical.gutentag.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42 .. the last post is describing some switches, how to force an upload for the new interface, even if the contact is older and created in the old interface... use: "upall upold" (Download must be deactivated)

But I'm still a little bit surprised by your findings in (1) and (2).......  do you use the old interface version?!

Newly created OL contacts are uploaded for the new interface... (modified contacts are uploaded for the "original" interface)

I'm also surprised about your findings on categories/groups... but perhaps the Google Contact API changed a bit.

I will test it out, but it takes me a little bit longer this time, probably at the WE I know more wink
Roland

#6 2009-04-01 22:10:32

Roland
Administrator

For categories/groups it's working like this at the moment:

New Groups have to be added in Gmail - uploading with a "new" category will not add a new group - and therefore will not stick in Gmail, it's "just" a category for Outlook. If you later add this group, you have to make sure, those contacts get uploaded again ("upall" plus "category filter").

Removing a category in Outlook does not remove the contact from that (existing) Gmail group - this is not implemented - hmm... I remember vaguely, that I had a problem doing so...  I will try to fix/implement this now...

(Email mapping:  it's the other way around - "primary email address" exists only in the old user interface (and "other" is used)... but "not anymore" in the new interface - hmm)

#7 2009-04-01 23:09:58

martin

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the detailed explanations and for being so transparent; you're the only one I've found who understands and willingly explains the workings of the Google contacts API. I have been searching for an OL-Gmail contacts sync app for days now ... glad I found your app and hope I can continue to help.

And thanks again for your speed in answering --> smile

I've read through your answers and the posts you provided, and here are my answers and comments:

> I am using the 'new' Gmail interface. I was using the 'old' interface in the past and hence must have some 'mixed-up' contacts using different protocols.

> Email mapping, I am going to: (1) export my Gmail contacts to a csv file; (2) erase all Gmail contacts; (3) I will then import my exported Gmail contacts csv into OL, deduplicate and merge as required there too; (4) upload to Gmail fresh from OL using 'upall upold'. I hope this will reset all entries and solve the interface issue.

> Categories: I understand that New Groups have to be added in Gmail. Interestingly enough, when I uploaded previously some (2 out of about 5 groups) were created in Gmail. Strange ...   What I will try is: (3a) first create all my existing OL groups in Gmail before doing (4) above. Hopefully in this way the upload will populate the Gmail groups with my OL categories. I will then test changing/deleting categories for contacts in both Gmail and OL to see what happens.

I'll re-post my observations once I complete the above.

Thanks again; nice exchanging here with you.

Martin

#8 2009-04-01 23:37:13

Roland
Administrator

Ok - but take care - do not delete the contacts in Gmail... "upall upold" will overwrite the existing contacts - but still using "other" from OL Email1Address..

I found a download bug, resulting in not removing the category when a group membership was canceled in gmail.. shame on me (wrong logic)!
Actually - only "adding" was implemented... and not "removing".

Please wait with any group-category tests (but your upload should work) - I will fix this tomorrow - its 23:24 now here in Switzerland...

And I'm really thankful for your feedback - you'll get your copy of iCal4OL for free - tomorrow after fixing groups-categories :-)
Roland

#9 2009-04-02 04:09:20

martin

Thanks for the warning about not deleting contacts in Gmail ... unfortunately, I had just finished erasing when I read your post sad   I am just too eager sometimes ...

This now being the case, I will merge my Gmail contacts with my OL contacts outside of Gmail, and then upload a totally fresh set from OL; I will try this upload using the "First Sync" feature (I have also cleared all of the user-defined fields previously set by iCal4OL in OL, so I hope it will treat my 'new' OL database as completely new entries.

I will wait for any group-category tests -- I hope you're finding time to sleep smile

I really like the fact that iCal4OL allows synchronization between multiple folders in OL to a single Gmail contact file. I keep separate contact folders in OL and use categories to classify contacts. To make best use of iCal4OL, I plan to then also add my folder names as categories so the group structure is completely reproduced in Gmail. This way, my folders stay on OL and I should still see the same 'master folders' as groups in Gmail, along with the other 'sub-categories' as groups in Gmail as well. Other programs require you to keep all of your contacts in ONE folder on OL; iCal4OL is much more flexible and this is GREAT.

Since my contacts database is quite complex with categories, I will wait for that bug-fix you mentioned before trying an upload (in any case, I still have a big job of merging my approx. 2,000 Gmail contacts into OL yikes and this will take me some time smile  )

Thank you for your very kind offer; I will gladly accept. I would also glady help you test future versions as I am a pretty heavy OL & Gmail user, and I'm very interested in databases, synchronization and 'cloud computing' (while maintaining a copy of the cloud for one's self). Perhaps we can communicate via email ... (I think you have my address from the bb board?)

Best,
Martin

#10 2009-04-02 10:43:14

Roland
Administrator

I have also cleared all of the user-defined fields previously set by iCal4OL in OL, so I hope it will treat my 'new' OL database as completely new entries.

Yes, that's it! Do it just for your Contact folder...
(This is necessary, otherwise you can't upload contacts, which have been already deleted in Gmail.)

I'm working now on the email mapping - perhaps better wait, until I have done this, too... (I will probably need the whole day for this, due to other work)

Info, how I will do it... at the moment I really don't see a better solution (it's more complex, here just a simplified explanation).

Download mapping (normally - when not uploaded from OL):
Email1address will become the "primary email"... this can be #home, #work or #other...
Email2address will be #home (or empty, if primary)
Email3address will be #work (or empty, if primary)
oEmail: in body will be #other (or empty, if primary)

I can't change this, because there is no flag in Outlook, which email address is the primary (Email1address is always the primary address)... and I have/want to stay compatible with previous versions of iCal4OL...

Uploading:
- Only if newly added in OL or special switch "upold" is used ("upnew" will do the same! I changed this already..), it will map Email1address to primary+#home, Email2address to #work and Email3address to #other...
  If this contact gets modified in Gmail again, I will prevent the "change" to the "download mapping"...  but if #home is not any more primary, it will be done by "download mapping" again...
- If previously downloaded with an older version, I have to upload it like the "download mapping"..

Roland

#11 2009-04-03 07:51:24

Roland
Administrator

Hello

I did some improvements - please use the "old" download link (sent by email) to get this newer test version!

First:
You must use on tab "Sync Field" the function to reset the field "ImportGCAL" (I had to change a parameter - this field does now hold the kind of email mapping)

Second:
A new option => New field mapping for emails... activate it - then it will do the mapping differently... as you expected, it would work

with Tooltip:

Code:

Inactive:
1.Email=Primary; 2.Email=Home; 3.Email=Work; "oEmail: in Body"=Other
If e.g. Home=Primary, 2.Email stays empty!

Active:
1.Email=Primary; 2.Email=Home or Work (if Home=Primary); 3.Email=Work or Other (if Work=Primary or Home=Primary)
If e.g. Work=Primary, then 2.Email=Home; 3.Email=Other

Uploading new contacts are mapped fixed: 1.Email=Home+Primary; 2.Email=Work; 3.Email=Other

Third:
You can force a new download with "downall" - this will reset the field mapping (ignoring the field ImportGCAL) according to the new option..

This should do the trick to be compatible with older installations - and the possibility for new customers to "improve" the email mapping ;-)
Roland

#12 2009-04-03 08:24:06

martin

Hi Roland,

Thanks for all the work. I've re-downloaded the .exe from the email link you sent me and installed over my existing installation.

I am still merging and cleaning my OL contacts file (having some difficulties with another program and de-deduplication of my OL file.

I should have this resolved by tomorrow, and will test the upload with iCal4OL then smile

Will re-post once done!

Martin

#13 2009-04-22 02:28:25

martin

Hi Roland,

My apologies for the delay in posting back here; the cleaning of my database took much longer than I had expected, with several problems using another software.

I performed a test upload this evening and the first thing I noticed was that if in OL a contact is assigned to more than one category, the categories are not uploaded to Gmail (multiple-category contacts are uploaded to Gmail without any categories at all!). All contacts with only ONE category are transferred fine, however.

Regarding emails:
I really appreciated your effort regarding the "New Field Mapping for Emails"; it must be really challenging to configure a mapping with Gmail when they use a double-system ("primary" and then email "type"). What I've found is that in Gmail you can have multiple emails with the same "type" (for example email1 = "home"; email2 = "home"  --> email1 would still be "primary", as you explained). This said, what I would find more usefull than mapping to "home" or "work" is to simply map all OL email addresses as "other" in Gmail. This way, OL email1 would ALWAYS be "primary" in Gmail, and email1, email2 and email3 would all be labelled as "other" in Gmail (with a big database like mine, I've found that the data-entry has not been consistent and the OL email type varies in each contact entry; some email1 may be "work" while others may be "home". In OL, this is not a problem because we stick with email numbers as type, but in Gmail we use words "home" and "work").  What do you think?

Martin

#14 2009-04-22 10:03:19

Roland
Administrator

Hello Martin

1. Multiple categories are working here.. hmm - did you update iCal4OL?
- Are you using semicolon ; as delimiter for categories (perhaps in OL2000, this is done by comma)?
  "Friends; Family; Test"
- The groups must exist in Gmail prior Upload
- Refresh browser window after Upload

Not Working?
Start - All Programs - iCal4OL - "iCal4OL DEBUG".... Empty LOG.txt and do ONE contact upload (filter by category - a contact with one unique category for filtering, but multiple categories for existing groups).
This way, all xmls information is written into LOG.txt... Please mail it for investigation.

2. Ouch! A third "parallel" email mapping..

Isn't it easy enough to just remember the new mapping (for new uploaded contacts)?!
OL Email1Address =>  home1,Primary
OL Email2Address =>  work1
OL Email3Address =>  other1

I don't want to confuse my customers with 3 different types of mapping - perhaps it would be good enough, to implement a hidden option, which must be entered in the configuration file (e.g. Default.ini) directly. But you still have to activate "[X] New field mapping for emails"

I will mail you an update link... then add in e.g. Default.ini in the section [Option] the line "OtherMapping=1". This can be done on tab "Configurations"... and then test it. I added also an automatic replace function (comma to semicolon) for OL categories...

:
[Option]
OtherMapping=1
:

Roland

#15 2009-04-22 17:00:39

martin

Hi Roland,

You're awesome!

1. I was using <iCal4OLFull2-7-12x.exe> and when I switched to <iCal4OLFull2-7-15x.exe> the multiple categories issue was solved.
For your info:
- OL2000 uses commas for category delimiter (as you indicated and accounted for in the 7-15x version);
- I am aware and had created my groups in Gmail prior to upload;
- Also aware of browser window refresh, thanks !  smile

2. I really didn't mean to add any more confusion to an already challenging subject. I should have foreseen the labelling issue during my first tests; sorry!  In fact, your 2nd parallel mapping is wonderfull and it IS easy enough to remember:

OL Email1Address =>  home1,Primary
OL Email2Address =>  work1
OL Email3Address =>  other1

....... but unfortunately all email addresses in my OL contact database were not enetered/merged/cleaned to consistently have the above mapping. In fact, some contacts have two or three WORK email addresses while others have multiple HOME addresses or in different order. Bottom line, it's much easier to not label email addresses in this situation (ie keep them all as OTHER). Personally, I think this situation may arise with other users as well since OL doesn't propose the HOME or WORK labels when entering email addresses (for example: when someone meets a new contact and collects an email address, do they ask whether it is HOME or WORK?  I find that usually, email addresses are enterred in the order you receive them from your contacts -- at least that's how I've been doing it -- and in this case you end up with inconsistencies between email1, email2 and email3 types (labels). wink

In any case, your third "hidden" mapping is GREATLY appreciated, and I confirm that it has worked with my test uploads; all test contacts with multiple OL email addresses were displayed as "OTHER" email addresses in Gmail. Thank you!  smile smile smile
(I had no problem adjusting the Default.ini file and it seems to work great)

I will now perform some more scaled-up testing and try to sync a larger contact database (4,000 entries + 22 categories). I'll re-post once done!

Martin

#16 2009-04-22 21:14:54

Roland
Administrator

I'm surprised, that your version of OL2000 is using comma, and not semicolon as category delimiter.

The German OL2000 is using semicolon, too.. are you really sure?
Can you check this again with the button "Categories:", and select two "standard categories" e.g. for contacts, events...
And if you have by any chance another version of Outlook installed on another PC - is comma the delimiter, too?

If this is the case, I really need to patch this throughout iCal4OL (at a lot of places...)!

Thanks
Roland

#17 2009-04-22 22:11:41

Roland
Administrator

Never mind - I found out, that I have to read the registry to get the correct delimiter

I have to patch iCal4OL for this... Multiple categories with sList=, are not working for the moment... sad

----------------
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
"sList"=","
-------------------

#18 2009-04-23 23:48:31

martin

Hi Roland,

I've just spent an afternoon doing some detailed testing and here's what I've found:

1. Multiple categories for a single OL contact are properly uploaded to Gmail, with the exception of <2.> below.

2. OL contacts without a category (displayed as <none> in OL when using view "by category") are NOT uploaded properly. What I observe is that these contacts are uploaded to Gmail and incorrectly assigned to every Gmail custom group (!!!). For example, in an OL contact database with 13 contacts having no category: these 13 contacts will be uploaded to Gmail and be part of every Gmail custom group. If you have 5 Gmail custom groups, all 13 of these contacts will be incorrectly assigned to every one of your 5 Gmail groups, when they should not be assigned to any group at all. I hope this can be easily fixed. NOTE: I've even tried a 'workaround' by creating a Gmail group called <none>, hoping that the OL contacts without a category would be imported to this Gmail group only, but no success sad

3. Sync between Gmail and OL:  when performing a sync in rapid succession to a previous sync, sometimes all deleted/modified contacts are not reflected in the sync if enough time has not elapsed. I can understand this as iCal4OL uses a <ImportLASTMODIEFIEDZ> field to keep track of what to modify and/or delete. But following such an "unsuccessful" sync (contact in question was skipped) I've noticed that upon the next sync the contact in question is re-imported in Gmail and strangely enough the <Other> phone number is re-copied to the Gmail file giving two identical <other> phone numbers and fields. If three "unsuccessfull" syncs are performed, then Gmail will have three identical <other> phone numbers and fields (OL is never affected as it only has the possibility of one <other> phone number). Even stranger: following several unsuccessful syncs, the <home> address is also duplicated in Gmail (again, OL is not affected).  Any ideas?

Martin

Last edited by martin (2009-04-23 23:52:52)

#19 2009-04-24 07:05:01

Roland
Administrator

Shame on me - a missing line to remove previous #other-phone and an empty array element for categories caused those bugs - sorry.
This project really teaches me the rule: Complex Software = More Bugs...   

A corrected version is now online (same link *2-7-16.exe).

The minimal time to recognize a modified item is set to ~ 15 (+-10) seconds.
10 seconds for time deviation (server-pc), and 5 seconds for Google to save the item.
I noticed, that sometimes it takes longer for Gmail to set especially the "updated time field" in their contact database, resulting in uploading the same item again..

#20 2009-04-24 17:42:37

martin

Hi Roland,

I've downloaded the corrected version from the same link; thanks!

The <none> categories and #other-phone are now working properly smile
Thanks for your reactivity; you're really managing a great project here and I'm happy to be able to contribute.
Bugs are a part of the process -- what would be more frustrating is if you were not interested in understanding and fixing them, and this is not the case smile smile

I've been doing some more testing this morning, and I observe another strange anomaly (but this time I think it may have more to do with OL and not iCal4OL). It's a little complicated, but I'll try to explain as best possible:

- In OL, when you make a mass modification to the 'Country/Region' field by using the <by-location> view, the change to 'Country/Region' is reflected in the basic address window of all modified contacts EXCEPT if the change of 'Country/Region' was to your 'home' country (as per your Regional settings in Windows). Strangely enough, the 'Country/Region' field for these contacts IS displaying 'Canada' (in my case) in the detailed address view but as mentioned above not in the basic address window of the OL contact form. Why is this related to iCal4OL? well ...

- ... I made such a <Country/Region> change to 12 entries in my test database (mass switch from <none> country to <Canada> country) and then tried a sync. iCal4OL recognized that there was a change to these 12 entries and the log showed that it uploaded the modifications to Gmail. I waited and refreshed Gmail, but the 12 contacts still did not have their country changed to <Canada>. I tried again. Signed-out of Gmail. Waited 5 minutes. Signed-in, and still the 12 contacts did not have their country fields changed to <Canada> even though iCal4OL was showing that the 12 contacts had been uploaded. I then looked at the series of logs and strangely enough the <LASTMODIFEDZ> time for the 12 contacts changed between the two consecutive sync operations although I only made the one mass country change in OL at the onset.

- I then decided to manually modify one contact's 'Country/Region' in the basic address window of OL so that it would actually show <Canada> (remember, with the mass modification the basic address window was NOT showing <Canada>). Then I did a sync, and surprise the country <Canada> was propagated to Gmail. The 11 other contacts were also picked-up as a change, again with a new <LASTMODIFIEDZ> date but without propagating the <Canada> to Gmail.

- ... So, what I think is happening is something like this: When doing such a mass <Country/Region> change, OL doesn't populate a certain database field for <Country/Region>, perhaps the field iCal4OL is using for <Country/Region> (maybe OL has 2 <Country/Region> fields, 1 for the detailed view and 1 for the basic view?). When performing a sync, iCal4OL  'sees' that a change was made in the contact but since it is using a different field for <Country/Region> it tries to sync a 'blank' field with Gmail and the change is not made. Then, for some reason all these 'mass-changed-to-home-country' contacts automatically remain as 'modified' and the LASTMODIFIEDZ time gets reset to a new current time making iCal4OL flag these contacts at the next sync which goes through the same endless cycle again.

This is a minor issue, and I realize it probably has to do more with OL/Regional Settings than with iCal4OL ... but I am curious as iCal4OL seems to keep flagging these contacts and unsuccessfully syncing them.

Otherwise, I will try my larger scale test again (4,000+ contacts) to see how everything goes and re-post soon.

Martin

#21 2009-04-24 18:29:19

Roland
Administrator

Hello

1. ImportLASTMODIFIEDZ needs to be updated, because there is no way "to control" the same field in Gmail. This way, they are about "the same" after upload...
As I wrote before, the Gmail field <Updated></Updated>  takes some time to be written - and at the next sync, when reading the contact to compare this field, sometimes still the old value is present in <Updated></Updated> field. This is a strange Google API bug, especially during "busy online times". Probably, a server farm sync is slow. Nothing, I could do here.
Ähem - no field is changed - in this case the field <Updated> is not set, even if freshly uploaded. I will need to circumvent this..

2. The visual representation of the full address is taken for a sync - Gmail has also just one textfield for the full address.
If you only update the country field in OL, this is not automatically transferred into the full address field of OL, if it's your country!!
I decided to stick with this "clearer" solution, considering the postal address formats in different countries.
I can't (don't want to) deal with this in iCal4OL => http://www.bitboost.com/ref/internation … rmats.html wink

I see no better solution - do you?!
Roland

PS: I will rename this thread to reflect better the content..

Last edited by Roland (2009-04-24 18:56:46)

#22 2009-04-24 19:33:56

Roland
Administrator

New Version is online (same link), using "<gd:extendedProperty name='iCal4OL' value='YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ'/>" set to sync start, to be sure a field is changed... so <updated> will be updated now, even if no real field gets changed in a Gmail Contact.

(I corrected my previous post - please read it online => The OL user country is never added into the full address)

Note: The Gmail field "Other" (possible for private, work, other.. at the bottom of the Gmail Contact Interface) is still not in the feed - no chance to sync this info with OL.

#23 2009-04-24 20:45:32

martin

Great, thanks again for the update smile

Roland wrote:

Hello

2. The visual representation of the full address is taken for a sync - Gmail has also just one textfield for the full address.
If you only update the country field in OL, this is not automatically transferred into the full address field of OL, if it's your country!!
I decided to stick with this "clearer" solution, considering the postal address formats in different countries.
I can't (don't want to) deal with this in iCal4OL => http://www.bitboost.com/ref/internation … rmats.html wink

I see no better solution - do you?!
Roland

Regarding the above, the only other solution I could imagine is to have iCal4OL take the individual address fields in OL and "stitch" them together to form a single textfield for Gmail to import. I'm not sure how easy/hard this would be to implement, but it would amount to copying each individual address field from OL and then pasting them with hard-returns into a temporary textfield for upload to Gmail. Downloads from Gmail would simply replace the OL full address field as usual. In any case, it's a really minor issue and fully understandable to leave as is given the different postal formats in different countries.

Note: The Gmail field "Other" (possible for private, work, other.. at the bottom of the Gmail Contact Interface) is still not in the feed - no chance to sync this info with OL.

I noticed this; thanks for the reminder smile

As soon as I complete a test on my larger database, I'll re-post wink

Martin

#24 2009-04-27 20:21:37

martin

Hi Roland,

I've completed some more testing on a larger OL contact database (4,000+ contacts), and here are some observations:

1. Downloads: I've noticed that changes to <Job Title> and <Company Name> in a Gmail contact are not downloaded to OL fields, despite being flagged as 'modified' by iCal4OL in the log.

2. Uploads: due to unknown reasons I have ended-up with some contacts in OL which are not in Gmail (probably from time-stamp differences and me performing sync tests very quickly, and/or moving contacts from the OL trash back and forth from my OL contacts file). This alone is not much of a concern, however when I perform an <upall> sync from OL, iCal4OL skips these contacts that it cannot find in Gmail ("Could not find Gmail Contact (already deleted)?!} GET 404 Not Found" error).   --->   I would expect iCal4OL to ADD any missing contacts to Gmail when doing an <upall>. (Basically, I have 4,018 contacts in OL, and 4,016 in Gmail and when doing an <upall> iCal4OL skips the 2 missing contacts in Gmail).  Any ideas or explanations of what I could be doing wrong?

... will post more as I continue testing.

Martin

#25 2009-04-27 21:02:20

Roland
Administrator

1. A Google-Api-Change... (it was under "#work" before..., but now those fields are under "#other"...)

Download again the latest version 2-7-16...

2. Modify an OL View, so you can see the userdefined field "ImportUID".
    Empty this field "only for those contacts, which can't get uploaded"...
    Gmail keeps track for about 14 days of deleted contacts (you probably deleted them while testing).

Regards
Roland

#26 2009-04-28 07:22:05

martin

1. Thanks again smile   The new version is correctly downloading <Job Title> and <Company> from Gmail.

2. I already have a specific iCal4OL view in OL smile   Deleting "ImportUID" allowed the troublesome contacts to be uploaded and re-synced with Gmail. Thanks smile    My only comment is that perhaps iCal4OL should automatically upload these contacts when using <upall> instead of skipping them  --->   what would be the harm?   From a user standpoint, the expectation is that <upall> is supposed to upload all contacts with no exceptions, right?  Not a big deal, however, as it is easy enough to search the log and find the troublesome contacts to then edit in OL; it would only be a real concern if for some reason you had hundreds of troublesome contacts ...

I will keep you posted of anything new here in the forum.

Martin

#27 2009-04-28 10:16:16

Roland
Administrator

2.... good idea! Thanks smile

upall (in field "Modified Contacts since") will now upload Contacts, even if they are already deleted in Gmail (A Download Sync would delete those in Outlook).

Until now, this was only possible by resetting the Sync Field "ImportUID" (tab "Sync Fields").
But doing so and using "[X] First Sync", would sync by primary email address - causing a problem, if multiple contacts with the same primary email address exist... and no upload is done!

Download iCal4OL 2-7-16 & update again.

Roland

#28 2009-04-29 06:38:11

martin

Hi Roland,

Here's a recurring issue I seem to keep having:

After updating contacts on both OL and Gmail, and performing several syncs during the day, I seem to sometimes still end up with an unequal number of contacts in OL as compared with Gmail. In the case of OL having more contacts than Gmail, I would simply use <upall>. However, when I have more contacts in Gmail, I do not want to use <downall> as the OL database contains more info (user fields like Children, Spouse, etc...) which I'm afraid would be erased during a <downall>.

Right now, I have 4,025 contacts in Gmail while only 4,024 in OL, and I cannot easily find which contact is missing.

If I do a <downall>, will Gmail completely overwrite OL files or will Gmail merge with existing OL info?

If <downall> is not an option, do you see another way to address this type of issue?

Is there a way to troubleshoot using the log and OL when Gmail has more contacts? (I cannot manually search the Gmail cointact database for the extra contact using ImportUID)

How can I prevent OL and Gmail from having unequal # of contacts in the first place?

Regards,
Martin

Last edited by martin (2009-04-29 06:41:23)

#29 2009-04-29 09:48:46

Roland
Administrator

Hello - and please update again (same link)...... !

=> Do a Contact Download with empty field "Modified Contacts since"
      But do not activate the option "[ ] First Sync"

Your problem for the moment could be (if it's not the incremental date):
Equal <Fullname> or equal <Primary Email Address> are linking two Gmail Contacts to one OL Contact.

New in this case:
No "Similar Test" is done with synced OL Contacts (but with un-synced it's still done), adding now the second contact in OL separately...
(Field "ImportICS" used to distinguish between contacts already synced = your Gmail email)

-----

"downall" and "down=" and "normal/incremental download" will only update/change those fields, which are set or visible in Gmail - with a few exceptions like email addresses, fullname,..
(Actually it's not possible to empty a field, by removing it from the Gmail Contact interface - it must be "only" emptied)

For you own security, make a backup of Outlook.pst before you test it..

Roland

#30 2009-04-29 21:57:30

martin

Hi Roland,

I uplaoded and did as asked:

=> Do a Contact Download with empty field "Modified Contacts since"
      But do not activate the option "[ ] First Sync"

... and the 4,025th contact was 'found' and downloaded to OL smile

Also, extended properties in OL such as "Children" and "Spouse" were retained in OL during the download from Gmail smile

HOWEVER: "email2" and "email3" ended-up as text in the "notes" field of OL (instead of mapping to "email2" and "email3")
--> "New field mapping for emails" was [x] and

[Option]
OtherMapping=1

was in the .ini file.

Hope you can re-correct the email mapping as it was before !   wink

#31 2009-04-29 23:19:28

Roland
Administrator

Yes - downloading new Gmail Contacts did not account for the "OtherMapping=1".
Only Contacts previously uploaded from OL behaved this way...

Hopefully, it was just this one record at your place..

I updated again 2-7-16:
Now, if a Contact gets added in OL (or the field "ImportGCAL" is still empty), then it will account for "OtherMapping=1", and setting the field "ImportGCAL"=7 

Explanation of "ImportGCAL" values - and test order during download:
I put it here more for me than for you - so don't bother to understand this ;-)

7 = was uploaded with "OtherMapping=1" in .ini [Option]
      (and primary email must stay #other in Gmail, to get downloaded this way again: #other=email1,#other2=email2,#other3=email3) 
8 = was uploaded with option "New Mapping" (#home,#work,#other) 
      (and primary email must stay #home in Gmail, to get downloaded this way again)
<empty> = see below..    "downall" forces this always;   OtherMapping=1 will then override this with =7

if still <empty>, following rules apply (field will be set to 1, 2 or 3) - to remember how to upload again:

1 = with "New Mapping", if primary email address is #home=email1address  (#work=email2,#other=email3)
2 = with "New Mapping", if primary email address is #work=email1address   (#home=email2,#other=email3)
3 = with "New Mapping", if primary email address is #other=email1address  (#home=email2,#work=email3)

1,2,3 is set with the "old Mapping", too - email1 is always primary (set as above), but email2=#home, email3=#work and in body "oEmail:#other" are at their places (or empty if primary).
=>  Example for 1: email1=#home, email2=<empty>(because it's primary), #email3=#work, oEmail:#other

#32 2009-04-30 07:51:12

martin

Hi Roland,

So does this mean with the latest update that <downall> will account for "OtherMapping=1" and download all email addresses into email1, email2 & email3 of OL?  (and more than 3 email addresses in Gmail will go to text in notes field of OL?)

Unfortunately, in my case it was the whole OL file that got email2 & email3 changed into text within the <notes> field of OL  (email2 & email3 were erased and left blank)...

#33 2009-04-30 08:05:03

Roland
Administrator

Yes - this should correct it... but more than 3 emails will only be saved into body, if they are "#other", too.

full enclosure:
#other primary => email1
#other2 (or if empty #home) => email2
#other3 (or if empty #work)  => email3
#other4 => body
#other5 => body
... but #home,#work,#home2,#work2 will not be mapped into body (with the exceptions above)!

Hope, this is good enough?!

#34 2009-04-30 08:45:05

martin

Hi Roland,

Now I'm becoming really impressed with this project smile smile

Just downloaded the update, and then did another <downall> right on top of the previously erronous OL file, and guess what?

-All Gmail contacts were successfully downloaded to OL (now 4,026!)  cool
-All email addresses from Gmail were successfully mapped to email1, email2 & email3 of OL  cool
-Any Gmail contacts with more than 3 email addresses had their 4+ email addresses mapped as text in OL <notes> field cool
-All OL fields not used by Gmail (ie Spouse, Children, etc.) were not affected and remained in the OL file !  cool

A big thank you smile

...and

full enclosure:
#other primary => email1
#other2 (or if empty #home) => email2
#other3 (or if empty #work)  => email3
#other4 => body
#other5 => body
... but #home,#work,#home2,#work2 will not be mapped into body (with the exceptions above)!

Hope, this is good enough?!

is great ! Thanks.

I think this project is going to be a great solution to keep one's smartphone contacts in sync with Gmail via OL.

I will be getting my phone sometime in the coming weeks, and obviously will keep updating here.

Best regards,
Martin

Board footer