Forum for iCal4OL, Print4OL and ICS4OL

Exchange of experiences / Erfahrungsaustausch / Get Help

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Verkauf von iCal4OL an Neukunden ist eingestellt! Keine Demo mehr verfügbar..
Diese Seite ist ausschliesslich für Kunden.
The selling of iCal4OL has ended! No trial available anymore..
This site is exclusively for customers.

iCal4OL Version 2.17.1 is now available. See Announcements / Ankündigungen

#1 2008-10-27 20:48:09

michaelborland

Task List page break by category

I'm very interested in this product, as it seems to have a lot of possibilities.  I follow GTD (Getting Things Done) methodology by David Allen.  I put all of my tasks into categories that are based on contexts (@work, @computer, @home, etc.) and not by date.

I am trying to have your software print my tasks out , and pagebreak by Outlook categories.  I can't seem to get it to work.  Any ideas?

I appreciate your time.

#2 2008-10-27 21:17:52

Roland
Administrator

Re: Task List page break by category

Hello

Sorry - this is not possible (for the moment).
But I will look into it  - probably adding task categories to the listview and a special option to do a page break for the sorted(!) column...
Give me some days... I will inform you...

Roland

#3 2008-10-28 07:58:52

Roland
Administrator

Workaround:
You can first activate the Outlook VIEW "by Category", then select tasks by mouse click (last task of same category by SHIFT mouse click), and then start Print4OL with pre-selected tasks...

I did a very basic implementation, though:
1) It will work only for tasks and appointments, and only for TTable/ATable templates.
2) Please download and install Print4OL again (install over previous installation).

3) A very basic Task example for download: TTable pagebreak.dot
    Save it to your template folder (normally C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PrintOL\ ).

4) You must SORT the listview in Print4OL by clicking on the column title "Category" (most right column).
5) It will make a pagebreak after every category => name of template contains pagebreak!
6) But it will only check the first 8 characters  => Left(Categories,8) = compatible with dates yyyyMMdd
    Multiple categories for one task are not supported - use the workaround!
7) Make a copy from "TTABLE English.dot" as "TTABLE break.dot",
    and it will (only) add an empty line in between categories (tables).
8) This "Grouping by" will work for other columns in the listview, too.
    (for the default date order after [Find], you don't have to re-sort)

Even though xReport templates are not supported, at least #CRLF is supported, to make an empty line in between categories.
See the appointment template: "AReport English with daybreak.dot"  => test it with listview SORT by CATEGORY

Roland

#4 2008-10-28 16:01:59

michaelborland

Roland...

IT WORKED!!!

You're awesome.  I am definitely going to buy Print4OL.  I am also going to spread the word in the GTD circles.  I can't tell you how many people live between Electronic and Paper and can't quite find a way to get the information in a certain format on the paper side.  Print4OL definitely makes that transition more seamless.

By the way, I was able to modify your document to Portrait mode and make a few other changes.  I would be more than happy to share, but see no way to post the template.  Let me know.

Thanks again!

#5 2008-10-28 17:49:03

Roland
Administrator

michaelborland wrote:

I would be more than happy to share, but see no way to post the template.  Let me know.

Good idea - I started a topic to share templates: http://ical.gutentag.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?id=73

Make a short "reply" (what it does) and send me the template by email. I gonna upload & link it to your post...

#6 2013-06-13 08:08:45

gilroy

Is it possible to list appointments by columns instead by rows? I would like to put week day on top and appointments in the next row. Excellent.
That seems to have done the trick for me. Thanks!
I'm going to play with it a little more and find out how to make it as easy as possible on myself.
For example, I notice I have to select at least one appointment before it will let me start print4ol. So I select one, open print4ol, use the calendar to select dates, "Find", then "remove duplicates" and then print.

Join N10-005 dumps  exam online training program to successfully complete website.

Last edited by gilroy (2014-08-08 08:25:45)

#7 2013-06-13 08:20:45

Roland
Administrator

You can use

ACalendar.dot
ACalendar Location.dot

By renaming or duplicating(!) this template, you can change a little bit the output:

ACalendar Start on Sunday.dot
ACalendar Start on Sunday AMPM.dot
ACalendar Start on Sunday AMPM Location.dot

So pseudo triggers are: "Location" (subject+location will print),
                                   "Start on Sunday" (week start is normally Monday),
                                   "AMPM" (for showing it as e.g. 8am).

And yes, something in the folder must first be selected (otherwise Print4OL can't know, which folder and item type..)

Board footer